Monday 6 May 2019

Do I Know You?

There seems be an incongruity between what German establishment wants to happen and what the people are willing to accept. Talking to strangers being an example.

I was first down to breakfast, wanting to make my normal early start, and found my place name on a table with two others - Herr und Frau Braun.

To be honest, I didn't feel like talking German at breakfast and considered sneakily swapping my place for another that was at a single table. But I thought better - when in Rome, do as the Romans do - except they don't.

When the Brauns were the next to arrive, Herr Braun picked up their sign from the table and threw it onto another in disgust. Suited me, though a little rude, I thought. His wife must have then had a word with him as he put it back.

I then started a conversation with him over the "Help yourself to Yoghourt" Bowl. Five different flavours.

It turned out that Herr Braun wasn't so bad after all. Ok, he had a few personal hang ups, like "all these electric bikes were far too heavy for old people and so there would be lots of accidents at some point". Plus he commiserated with me for "Our Theresa". Which I couldn't really fault him for.

Clearly he just wanted a quiet breakfast on his own, or with Frau Braun at most. She didn't talk much.

No comments:

Post a Comment